Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wanee 2010 & Steak 'n Shake & Sushi Chef

Bad vibes at Wanee 2010, man.  It was like living in Bartertown with too much beer, too few women...and to add insult to injury, Wendy's hammock got stolen.  Some other victim posted a sign: Stealing a hammock is bad karma.  Indeed.  Where's the love???  At the very least, I got a new Facebook profile picture out of it.

After we left Wanee I was dying for a burger.  With onions.  We went to Steak 'n Shake because you can get a burger at 10am there.  Seriously, breakfast menu?  Screw off, I'm an AMERICAN, and AMERICANS sometimes want a burger before 11am, and damn it all, as an AMERICAN I demand all my needs, wants and desires to be fulfilled instantly.  So, since God is an AMERICAN, he created Steak 'n Shake.  It's no In 'n Out but, since we all can't live in that glorious paradise on earth called the West Coast, it will have to do.  It's not death row food, but it is release from captivity food.  I may or may not be speaking from personal experience.  I may or may not have kissed the asphalt of the parking lot at the Gainesville Steak 'n Shake in a past life. 

That menu is crazy!  Chili on spaghetti.  Chili on everything.  And, Kool Aid milkshakes!  I forgive Evil G's heresy of ordering that mutt of a burger, with guacamole on it, because she likes weird things to eat.  I mean, she ate tuna stuffed olives at Wanee.  I still love 'er.  Wendy and I went the more traditional role of double burgers with cheese and, just everything, put everything you got, on it.  Then, Wendy topped it off with boiled peanuts from the nearby fruit stand.  She fills me with patriotic pride.

My neighborhood is great for tapas but is lacking in sushi.  Sure, I took the proximity to work and my son's school into consideration when I moved, but obviously I forgot to think of this key element.  The closest place is Sushi Chef, a kind of run down, unspectacular looking place in a strip mall on Coral Way.  I finally stopped in there for a menu and man, that is some sexy reading.  The sake selection is pretty extensive (if you like that kind of thing) and I can't figure out what half of the stuff on the menu even is.  It's a mystery slash adventure!  Luckily the in-restaurant menu has lots of pretty pictures that at least give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

I had a spicy tuna roll that, though it wasn't amazing, it certainly was interesting.  A ton of spicy mayo.  Clever little sushi chef.  You madman, you.  Though I didn't love it, and won't order it again, I certainly liked your coy take on my old standby and respect your inventiveness.  The spicy salmon tartar was another story.  I wish I could chew long and take smaller bites.  Yes, that dish and I will meet again, no one night stand there.

4 comments:

  1. I still want to hear all about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a chicken sandwich.....not a burger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well G, it's even worse than you ordered a chicken sangwich from a burger place :)
    I keed! I keed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the tuna stuffed olives either... give me tuna or give me olives..

    ReplyDelete