Saturday, April 3, 2010

Taco Bell, Sushi-Thai on the Beach and Titanic

Ah...the fourth meal.  Beloved savior of those in the throes of late night munchies.  The concept has been around forever, but Taco Bell was genius enough to recognize their position in the food chain and capitalize on it.  You got to love Mexicans and their contributions to American decadence and overindulgence:  Taco Bell.  Tequila.  Corona.  Tijuana.  And their ingenuity!  The things they came up with, with just a handful of ingredients.  I went to one after a night at Harvey's, realizing (well, Allegra realized for me) that I didn't have time for a proper meal.  I rather belligerently stated, repeatedly (may have been the Yuengling talking) that I was hungry...so I got five bucks worth of Taco Hell, which is quite a LOT of food...and then put it away for dinner the next day after just a couple of bites.

Went to Sushi-Thai on the Beach on the Hollywood boardwalk.  The place is shabby and run down but it has the ubiquitous deferential Thai (?) staff that I so adore, and one of those horribly extensive menus that is the bane of my existence.  Those menus are why I often look at the restaurant's website in advance and choose what I want, so I don't feel like I'm driving my dinner companions or waiter mad with my indecisiveness.  I already knew, for instance, that I was getting Tuna Rock, which is chopped raw tuna with tempura flakes, avocado, cucumber, sesame oil, masago, scallion, and spicy mayo.  These are a few of my favorite things...I get this kind of thing wherever it's offered, in its various forms and permutations.  I think it's pretty much my favorite dish.  We also got one of those crazy sushi boats for two.  So much sushi we had leftovers, if you can believe that.  I smiled, frequently, during that meal.  It's my barometer for how tasty things are and how happy my tummy is.

Last night a large group of us gathered at Titanic Brewery and Restaurant to check out Wendy's friends' band.  Formerly, Falaz, currently-???  The bar is right by the University of Miami campus but it lacks that sketchy college bar feel like you get in real college towns.  It has pretentions that don't fall quite short; it lacks imagination in decor and menu but it's certainly not offensive in any way.  I just got one beer (I know, I know), their Triple Screw Light Ale, and their ceviche.  The beer is ok, I guess...I'm not a connoisseur, but at least it's cheap at $4 at mug.  It was a mistake to order a dish I like as much as ceviche in a place like that; it wasn't terrible but it was certainly kind of pathetic.  I'm pretty certain all the food at that place is like that.  Food intuition.  A place like is only as good as the company you're keeping, and luckily I was in some of the best...had to cut the night short to get up early for work today, though.  Didn't even get to hear the band!  :(

3 comments:

  1. Just had the beer and munching off other ppl's plates. Band was ok, wasn't into all that much. The fun part was the after party where Wendy's crazy neighbor started banging on the door for us to shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard about that lol It's always an adventure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. their burgers are good.....atleast at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete