Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sarussi Cafeteria and Captain Jim's Seafood

Ok, so you've gone and done it, and now so-and-so is lying on a cold slab and you're awaiting execution.  What's on your mind?  Forgiveness?  The afterlife?  No, of course not.   You're thinking about what delicious aftertaste you want lingering in your mouth as they flip the switch and you pass into the, uh, afterlife.  I do hope they serve beer in hell, but I'm sure the menu is rather limited.  Well, I am very indecisive so I've planned this out carefully in case I ever find myself in this situation.

One of my death row meal items is a frita from Rey de la Fritas, and the other is an original sandwich from Sarussi Cafeteria.  Apparently there are other delicious things on the menu, such as the churrasco sandwich, but I wouldn't know...I love the original too much to be led astray.  I went with a bunch of lucky, lucky coworkers after some meeting and we had lunch at the Sarussi on 107th Avenue and 8th Street Southwest.  Oh Em Gee, the smell alone when we walked in made my stomach drop in lustful anticipation.  We all had either the churrasco or the original, on separate checks which the waitress handled like a pro.  I mean, it improves her overall tip, doncha think?  Ok, stop thinking, start eating.

Well, it was fricking awesome, what do you think?  I harassed my two Sarussi-virgin coworkers repeatedly for their opinion, and they assured me it was the best thing ever and that the day they befriended me was the best day ever.  Of course.  The perfect alchemy of pig product, special mystery sauce, toasted, lightly greased bread, cheese, and pickles.  I don't have many fond childhood memories, but I do remember going to the beach during the summer (it felt like we would go everyday but I'm sure I'm remembering that incorrectly).  My family would pick up a few sandwiches from Sarussi, along with a bunch of Chek soda (back then they sold them singly and it was sooo exciting to pick my flavor lol) and we would eat lunch on the beach after working up one of those ferocious, beach-induced hungers.  The taste of those sandwiches was somehow enhanced by the crunch of the sand that would work its way in.

I went to Captain Jim's Seafood to indulge in the perfect sensual experience of eating a plate of raw oysters.  I was so looking forward to it and so hyping it up that by the time we got there...well, it's a mistake to look forward to anything so much.  Don't get me wrong, everything was still the same and the service was fine and the oysters were great but somehow food tastes better when you are not expecting it to blow you away.  I had the shrimp cocktail as well, which seemed a bit tough.  My friend had the fried conch sandwich and hush puppies, which were more than respectable, even reheated the next day.  But the experience fell flat, don't know why.  I really don't care for breaded, deep-fried food, that's for certain.  Oh, well, we'll always have sushi.  Even the cheap ass sushi in a place like Iron Sushi on Miami Beach is just fine, thanks.

5 comments:

  1. You have to try the churrasco sandwich. Original is good but that one is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will, next time. One of the virgins that ate there yesterday called me to ask for the name of the place; she's going back today lol She said she couldn't stop thinking about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You went to capt. jim's without me...BITCH

    ReplyDelete