Saturday, January 23, 2010

Total Wine & More and Obba Sushi

Valentine hosted a wine testing/finger foods party for her significant other last night, so we made a stop at Total Wine & More to pick up some wine to bring.  I know NOTHING about wine and only recently even starting drinking the stuff (I'm a beer kind of girl) so I loved how they clearly describe the wines and mark the top three sellers of each type...it's like school for aspiring alcoholics!  I forget what I bought, it was their #2 Merlot, but it was very tasty, as far as wine goes  (I had to look it up, it was Angeline Merlot, Sonoma County).  I drooled over their beer selection and had to buy something...and the awesome checkout lady (awesome because she was impressed by how young I look, an easy way to get on my good side) told me that they are opening a Total Wine in Dadeland!  The Internets reveal, "They are actually opening a Total Wine across from Dadeland, in the former Linens N Things space, next to Crate and Barrel."  If The Internets say it, it must be true.  Enough proof for me.

I went to Obba Sushi a couple nights ago, totally psyched because it's within walking distance of my current residence.  It could have, and should have been, pure joy but instead it was not much to rave about.  I had their tuna tartar, and it was edible though the least delicious tuna tartar I've had.  The fish was too processed and was mushy, and they overpowered the tuna with excessive amounts of scallions.  Something to hide, hmmm?  The flavor of raw fish is too delicate to mess with.  Less is more, and sashimi is king.  Theirs was ok, FYI.  The portions seemed a bit small, the prices seemed a bit high, and I don't think I'll need to go back.

I'm moving soon, to an apartment in the Silver Bluff/Shenandoah area, and it's like worlds apart from Brickell.  I'm already scoping out the places to eat :)  Looks like http://www.urbanspoon.com/ refers to it as the "Coral Way" area.  Casola's!  Daily Bread!  El Carajo!  Here I come!

3 comments:

  1. "next to crate and barrel". Actually there is no Crate and barrel there, so I am not sure what that person is talking about. I am going to head over there tomorrow to take a look and see if any signs are up. I will let you know.

    Congrats on the new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they meant Container Store???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the container Store. I see myself living in that strip mall versy soon.

    ReplyDelete