Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mystic Water Kava Bar


I rounded up a motley crew of public servants to try kava kava at the recently opened Mystic Water Kava Bar.  The extremely cute proprietress gave an excellent spiel and the presentation was all that...but unfortunately, we didn't feel much of the sedative effects kava kava is reported to have.  The staff there cleverly informed us that the body needs to built up enzymes to properly utilize kava kava and with repeated ingestion, blah blah blah...so, of course, we are expected to keep returning, swilling expensive, chalky pond water in the hope that someday, SOMEDAY, we will feel SOMETHING.

We skipped out after $80 worth of kava kava and intelligently decided to turn to more reliable forms of intoxication.  We went to Hollywood Vine where we were joined by JC, who entertained us all with his special brand of social adeptness, peculiar to those in the sales field.  We government employees have far more subtle social skills; we gleam more than shine.  JC is like a search light.  The place is sophisticated, pretty, and has bathrooms up to par for those who have phobias about public restrooms (Evil G has a tortured soul).

After that, a few stragglers went to PRL Euro Cafe  for one last fancy pants beer.  Lately I like for people to order for me, and I gave JC free rein to choose my beers since he knows more about beer than anyone should.  We offered up a dollar bill to the wall of decorated money to immortalize another boozy night.

I've been using Annie's Organic Buying Club for my fresh, organic produce for about two months now. I prefer them to Farm Fresh Miami because Annie's doesn't force you to pay registration fees; you pay as you go along. I'm getting a half share every two weeks for $36.50. I like it because, since you don't choose what is in your box, it forces you to try new things and get outside your culinary comfort zone. Of course, I still am perplexed by that watermelon radish, lying in my produce drawer. And I realize I hate arugula. But hey, I kind of like having choices taken away from me (which is probably why I like people to order for me, as I previously mentioned). I've even turned on a couple friends to Annie's. As a compensation for this, I'd like to request no more arugula. Ever. That's all.

2 comments:

  1. am going to try annie's. i'm being brave. um, do you know what bubble tea is? there is a place in north miami supposed that has veggie chinese, shaved ice and bubble tea. i'm going for the veggies and the shaved ice, but why i'm there i might as well have some tea. thought you might now- ask your thai or chinese wife for me. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sorry for the delay, bubble tea is a delicious sweet milky tea substance and the bubbles are big balls of black tapioca...the tapioca balls are edible, they don't taste like anything but they can choke you to death lol

    ReplyDelete