Saturday, August 22, 2009

Shibui and then some

I had a nice, full, day off yesterday. I went to my super duper cheap place to get my nails done ($20, hands and feet!) and as I was sitting in the chair, pondering what to do after, I got a text from Wendy. She wanted to know if I wanted to go thrifting in Broward with her. Uh...yeah? Of course!
As she impressed me with her superior navigation skills, (no map! just an address!) I admired my gorgeous toe nails. So pretty! We hit three thrift stores but I think the best one by far was American Thrift Store. It was super crowded and pretty stinky, but it had some great selections, a lot of the more inexpensive labels like Old Navy and Abercrombie and Fitch. I got some Gap pants and a couple of sweaters, and some shorts for my son. They had a huge selection of winter wear and suits. I know, I know, it's Miami, but we do have a handful of cold days in the winter...and if you are traveling North this winter, you may as well not spend too much on clothes for your trip! The best thing of all, however, were the prices. Very cheap to start off with, a lot of items were 50% off. I got nine pieces for $22!
By then we were hungry, so went to Tijuana Flats in Cooper City for lunch. Honestly, it was a rather meh meal. I had a spinach and artichoke quesadilla and Wendy a steak quesadilla. The filling in mine tasted just like artichoke and spinach dip, which was to be expected, I suppose, but it was just too creamy. I like to have some texture in a quesadilla to offset the creaminess from the melted cheese...they did have a huge hot sauce bar if that is your kind of thing, and the service was great. The girl cleaning up the dining room was very attentive and friendly, and they refilled our drinks for free :)
After that Wendy dropped me at my car I had to go straight to my next appointment, a Reiki circle Allegra told me about. Hey, I'll try anything once. It was at Five Sisters in Pinecrest, on South Dixie Highway. I happen to love all that new age-y, hippie stuff, I just don't believe in it very much. The store is cute and smelled yummy, and everyone there had those gentle, spaced-out smiles. The Reiki master led us in a guided meditation, then the four Reiki masters there did Reiki on us. I can't say I felt all that much except extremely relaxed, to the point of being tired. My eyes did NOT want to stay open. The guy who did me said he felt something at my throat and solar plexus chakras. Good to know. It was over at 8:30pm, and then I drove straight over to Sunset. I had dinner reservations at nine at Shibui Japanese Restaurant with Monger and Lydia.
I actually got there first, and we got seated right away. We do serious eating at Shibui, all of us being sushi fans, hungry, and enamored of their (relatively) cheap prices. We got a ton of food to share: Hijiki, Age-tofu, and Crab Shu Mai to start, then the Spicy Tuna Roll, the Illegal Roll, the Louisiana Roll, the Tuna Sushi sandwich, and a bunch of nigiri. Everything was tasty but the best thing by far was the Tuna Sushi sandwich. It was like tuna tartar filling in sushi rice "bread". It made a party in my tummy. I love waiters that give you an opinion, so our waiter was perfect. When I asked for the Spicy Tuna roll, she asked if I wanted spicy mayo or red sauce. Like I know...so I asked her what was better and she said mayo with no hesitation. She was the one that recommended the Tuna Sushi sandwich as well.
I got home by 11pm or so, so I was out of the house officially for about 13 hours straight. Success! Since I was out so long I didn't have a chance to eat my Crab and Asparagus soup leftovers, so Allegra and I can partake of that at lunch time...leftovers! It's like having money in the bank!
Oh, I saw Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist on DVD the previous night. It was a good complement to the book, which I read as well. Charming, sweet, envy-inducing (how many teenagers really have that much fun on any given night?). And, I don't care that Michael Cera is always playing himself. I like that self.

1 comment:

  1. Thank god you didn't eat the Crab and Asparagus soup and you shared it with me instead. It was perfection in a (alice in wonderland) mug.

    ReplyDelete