Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Home cooking trials

July 20, 2009. Sometimes, you gotta cook. You know, frugality and all. I made a chicken stir fry that was perfectly respectable but I just didn't like it much. Lately I'm not into meat, especially chicken, especially when I cook it myself. I blame my healthy friend for this, she of the Master Cleanse and Raw Foods Diet and all. She's a terrible influence! I took some of the white rice I made for the stir fry and made a recipe for fried rice, which is one of my favorite comfort foods...and it was actually pretty good!

Quick Fried Rice
From The Starving Students’ Vegetarian Cookbook
by Dede Hall

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 egg
1 cup cooked rice
Handful frozen peas
1 tbsp soy sauce

Directions
In a skillet, on med-high heat, melt butter and add onions. Cook 1 minute. Crack egg into skillet. Stir and drag egg lightly with fork until egg is cooked in “strings”. Add rice, peas, and soy sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes, or until rice is browned and all ingredients are hot.

I had to substitute edamame for peas, and added extra onion. Recipes never have enough onion or garlic, I've noticed. I liked it because, well, it tasted good! But also because this cookbook has small portion sizes, which is great when you are a single mother with a finicky child. The recipes are also easy and don't have obscure ingredients. Still have that recipe for Caramelized Figs with Orange Flower Water in my purse. I'll have to take a trek to Lorenzo's for orange water; it's the only place I can think will maybe have it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to look for that cookbook! Have you tried making anything else from it since then?

    ReplyDelete