Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pizza Rustica across from FIU (Main Campus)

Though it's unusual to have a meal at Pizza Rustica devoid of the special sazón an advanced state of ravenous inebriation brings (the kind that comes at 2am), the pizza doesn't need it.  It's awesome, even in broad daylight and completely sober.  I've heard that the location across from Sunset Place is not up to par, but the new location across from the FIU Main campus certainly is.

I had the Con 3 Funghi pizza for lunch while waiting for my turn in the queue at Happy Hour Nails.  It was everything I love about the pizza from the South Beach locations: Crispy crust, fresh and flavorable, good size, and a terrific selection of toppings to choose from.   It had big, fat cloves of roasted garlic as well as the shrooms...UM!  The young lady at the counter was natural, friendly and attentive - I liked her quite a bit.  She must be a model of patience to deal with the type of crowd I imagine wanders over from FIU. 

It was slow when I went - luckily - and I hardly had to wait at all.  There was one annoying customer that wanted his pizza "crispy" and not only had the girl put his pizza in the oven twice before he even tasted it, after sitting with it and taking one bite he sent it back again for further crisping.  I'd have burnt it black for him, but that's because I'm a bitch.  So I've been told.  I imagine a crowd of drunk college kids are less annoying that this guy who was quite old enough to know better.  He looked to me as if seeking my support for his peevish whining but he looked to the wrong person - no one who works with the public will sympathize with anyone but the counter girl.  I told her, "I would like to request that you heat my pizza as you would normally.  Thank you."

 I should also mention how pointless it is for the homeless to panhandle me; I've zero tolerance for the homeless - work has cured me of whatever I may have had originally.  I remember snapping at a homeless dude who panhandled me at Burger King on my lunch break - and he was one of my customers! - like I needed to open THAT can of worms and have them leeching off of me every time I take out my wallet.  They've already sucked my soul dry at work!  I gave at the office was never more true.  But I digress!

Anyway, this strip mall is culinary paradise as far as I'm concerned - Pizza Rustica AND El Rey de las Fritas???   Not to mention that Sarussi is only a couple blocks a way.  Absolute heaven.  Luckily it's not situated all that conveniently for me because with a diet like that, I'd be getting to heaven WAY faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment