Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Zen Village

I've had it in the back of my mind to visit Zen Village for a while, but I am a bit shy about doing these things alone.  I have to convince myself that I'm an adult who will never do anything interesting if I don't just, you know, do it.  This past Sunday I bravely set out for their 9am class, Free Basic Meditation for Community.

I had seen pictures of the place online but no photograph can do it justice.  The building is painted a strange green which is at least highly visible.  It has a paved patio surrounding it with a stupa on the property-really elegant and lovely.  But the inside, oh God, is perfect.  I think living in such a beautiful home (because it is a repurposed old Grove house) would make up for a multitude of things, even, for having to live in Miami.  Sky lights, wood paneling, numerous original windows and french doors (even the fasteners seem original), high ceilings, and a spiral staircase to the temple on the second floor.  And, of course, it's decorated with all those gorgeous tapestries and statues and smells like cedar-I honestly could not get over how wonderful this place looks.  Really, I stink at describing things, I just wish I could pile you all in my car and take you over there so you can see it yourself.

Patricia taught the morning meditation (this was my first meditation class ever) and she did a great job with me-because I was the only student there.  I must admit, I felt pretty darn lucky.  We sat for about twenty minutes and when my legs were completely numb and stiff she suggested we do a walking meditation around the stupa, then back to another seated meditation.  She patiently answered all my questions, was funny and warm and real, and was just really great to listen to.  I decided to come back to the noon Buddhist Sunday Service.

I'm so glad I went outside my comfort zone and checked this place out.  Of course, now I want to go to all their classes and move in but, of course, work intrudes on my spiritual growth :P  I'm looking forward to going back, soon and as often as possible.  Come with!

No comments:

Post a Comment