Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Global Liquors

Due to reaching a new level of hunger and brokeness (thanks for the pay cuts!) I haven't been out and about much.  You need some amount of discretionary income to gad about, drinking and eating, when you have not yet met your sugar daddy.

I don't drink much anymore but the holidays, parties and birthdays do require the purchase of gifts.  I like giving liquor as a gift - as my friend Wendy once stated: If I can't eat it, drink it, smoke it, or wear it, I don't want it.  We all want less clutter and stuff in our lives, and the best kind of gift-giving takes that into account.  So, enter the liquor store.

In the past I typically frequented Gulf Discount Liquors and Wine which is close to my house.  It's a sort of clean, utilitarian place with good prices, if not the most convenient hours.  It's all right but it's not sexy, to be honest.  It's very brightly lit, you know?

I needed a gift so I decided to check out some other local liquor stores.  First I went to Old Vines Wine & Spirits.  Definitely a pretty, classy little jewel of a joint but I must have picked the wrong time to go.  There was a wine tasting going on - everyone in this hole-in-the-wall was pretty boozy - and I couldn't find anyone to acknowledge me or help me.  I mean, this place is smaller than my apartment, yet I couldn't get anyone to look me in the eye.  It felt like I was a bumpkin in overalls who had crashed a private party at the country club.  The selection is quite dismal unless you want wine.  I mean, this place is tiny.  I left the place and, already late to a party, headed over to Global Liquors just down the street.  What a find!  Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Though you wouldn't guess from the outside, Global Liquors is spacious, elegant, has a large selection, and has great prices.  No fluorescent lighting, no Walmart atmosphere.  They have a good amount of parking and are very convenient - for me, at least!  I easily found someone to help me and they even had a check-in deal for a discount, score!  They have a fancy little delicatessen in the store as well.  I definitely recommend them - I've been there three times in the last month and I always get treated well.  I only worry they don't get enough customers - they can't close, I need them.  I mean, they are only a little over a mile from my house so you know what that means, yep - walking distance.  Though, I've been hearing about the perils of drunk walking lately.  Don't drink and walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment