Monday, July 11, 2011

El Gran Inka

My sister and I met up with my sister's friend at El Gran Inka after biking with our brother in Key Biscayne - no, I did NOT try the bridge!  My sister and her friend are both in the field I am seriously considering venturing into so I tagged along as a networking opportunity.  How very adult of me.

This place is far as hell.  On the way there we drove by a Japanese restaurant I've heard great things about, Hiro's Yakko-San, so I made a mental note for my eventual trek back out to the sticks.  I had the fish ceviche, my sister had the Lomo Saltado, and her friend had the mixed seafood ceviche.  My ceviche was pretty good, but my sister's Lomo Saltado was aMAZing.  The beef was so tender and the sauce was perfect.  My sister's not used to eating at restaurants with me but I broke her in quickly - both I and her friend ending up tasting her dish.  Her friend's mixed seafood ceviche I was happy to avoid - I just can't stand looking at tentacles, sorry :/  She ordered maduros that were very sweet, considering how pale they were - I tend to like them cooked (ahem, burnt) until they carmelize.  We had some cocktails that had Chicha Morada in them that were very tasty and effective, and flan for dessert (they called it something else) that was pure silk in the mouth.  I was rude, I took the last bite.  Well, someone's got to!

The place was very fancy pants and romantic - pefect for a date, if that's your kind of thing.  We ate outside but that was a mistake.  The weather was fine but we attracted quite a bit of wildlife and by the end of the meal the flan plate was covered in ants.  Dunno.  I feel that in most Hispanic cooking the cheap places are just as good as the expensive places, but I can recommend El Gran Inka - if it happens to be in your neck of the woods.

I've already mentioned Moonchine (I think I've eaten there more than anywhere else - fantastic atmosphere!) but I'd like to note that if you check in there using social media you get a free shot - and it's good!  The Moonchine shot tastes strongly of ginger and danged if it doesn't seem like a health drink cause of it.  I'd order it even if it wasn't free, so there!  Also, went to Lemongrass again with GS last night.  Lemongrass, for my money, is the best, most consistent, Thai/Japanese restaurant I go to.  You never, ever have a meal there that is anything less than stellar.  Recommend so much!  Note to self: must look for Thai tea at an Asian mart!

No comments:

Post a Comment