Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tamiami Truckers Food Court

The whole food truck business seems to inspire a great deal of feeling in people, from great apathy to great antipathy to great, um...sympathy?  Just trying to keep the trend going, there.  I've had my eye on the burgeoning food truck bizniz here in Miami (damn you, Ms. Cheezious, you stole our idea!) and I've generally thought, it's a good thing.  What's not to love about cheap, tasty, sometimes interesting food coming right to you?  It seems Miami borrows nothing cool from other, hipper cities and frankly, it bums me out.  Miami is sooo provincial.

Well, I was texting about my evening plans to check out the Tamiami Truckers Food Court to this friend of mine, and I didn't really expect him to have such, ahem, strong feelings about the food truck craze.  But here, I'll let him say it in his own words, "One thing is enjoying a bite at a place and appreciating it for what it is.  But this is another matter altogether.  It borders on the obscene at this point...I have had it with this food truck business.  It is so shallow.  You won't order a grilled cheese sandwich from Denny's, but all of sudden some Argentine c*** brings you one in a truck and it's the culinary equivalent of the Venus de Milo?  F*** that.  It's the excitement in people's eyes that most gets to me...There are perfectly decent restaurants going out of business, closer to home.  I'm not excited about standing in line with 200+ assholes who think this "street meat" parade is worth the sojourn inot the hills for a "really good sandwich".  All those FB updates, these twatters...I just can't take it."

I must say, full disclosure, this is one of my very best friends and I retaliated by posting many Facebook and twatter updates about the whole event, just to bug him.  I'm so mature.

I do see his point(s).  It was far as hell for me.  You get there and there is a sense of expectancy that never gets fulfilled...like another friend of mine said that night (be careful what you say, I will quote you), "It's like the Youth Fair without any rides".

Exactly.  I ate a lot, and enjoyed some things quite a bit...especially the carnita I had from Jefe's.  The fish taco from there seemed a little bland but P did steal my hot sauce.  Oh!  And Wendy's Crab Salad and Cheddar sandwich from Ms. Cheezious was really good, especially when she added the perennial pickles to it...I know she'll be making those at home very soon.  I thought the lettuce wraps from Miso Hungry was only ok, the pork inside was very dry.  The only sign of freshness in the wrap was the cilantro.  We had crepes at the French place that were pretty great, too.

All in all, I had a really nice time but to be honest, it was mostly the company and, well, the beer helps, of course.  I would have had an equally nice time at Wendy's apartment with the same people.  Now that I've done it once I don't know that I need to do it again, especially to the meet-ups that are so FAR.  Some of the meet-ups are much closer and I'm not averse to trying them out...I spent like $15 for quite a lot of food.  It is nice, however, to have a destination on a weekend night, it keeps me from feeling like I'm melting into a sloth-like complacency where I never  go out anymore.  I will just put forth one request: Port-a-Potties?  Please?

3 comments:

  1. i love your honesty... twatters, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take credit for "twatters" but I cannot lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are going to have the trucks out on Wednesday at Brickell Honda. We can car pool.

    ReplyDelete