Monday, October 11, 2010

Tutto Pizza/Tutto Pasta

Tutto Pizza is one of those places that you invariably return to, again and again.  Like Moonchine, you will never get a bad meal there.

I've been sleeping over at mom's a couple times a month so she can watch my son while I work (every single Saturday, serving the undomiciled public with a plastic smile!) or take my Ayurveda classes.  My uncle, who must like us or something, has sporadically taken us out to dinner during these sleepovers; we usually end up at Tutto Pizza, which is both child friendly (picky seven year old) and chef friendly (picky seventy year old).  Yes, my uncle is a chef and a baker, and I remember countless meals as a child with him critiquing my eating habits.  I don't know why I smelled everything, even the silverware....kids are weird that way.  Anyway, as an adult I really enjoy meals with him because: A. he has fantastic taste B. he orders appetizers and wine, something I can never afford to do C. he orders for everyone, which is great since I'm indecisive and like these chivalrous throwbacks and D. he pays.  This all adds up to a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN!

We went there last Saturday: me, my mom, my son, my uncle, and my uncle's girlfriend.  This is supposed to be a point of contention, the girlfriend, seeing how my uncle's divorce was awkward at best (my uncle and aunt still work together, everyday) and how she is around 20 years younger than him...but hell, I don't care, go for yours, Tio.  She's nice to me, and that's all I care about.

My uncle ordered Focaccia al Rosmarino, Salmon Carpaccio, a Margherita pizza, and a Portobello and Pollo.  I'm still on edge when eating around my uncle, a childhood holdover, so I just sat back and waited for them to move.  My uncle's GF dressed the mixed greens that came with the salmon with balsamic, oil, and lemon juice; I've never added the lemon juice to balsamic but it's a great idea, it really brightens the salad and mildens (if it's not a word, it should be) the vinegar.  We dipped the focaccia into olive oil, stared meaningfully at the last bit of salmon, poured fizzy water and wine, oh, the wine...Malbec by Santa Florentina.  For me to actually remember that name means I said it to myself about ten times.  It was so good, without that tannic aftertaste.  The four of us went through two bottles and my mom got tipsy, which was cute...she kept trying to turn off the alarm when we got home by turning it on.  And she giggled.

Seriously, go eat there.  If you're not in the mood for pizza, Tutto Pasta is right next door.  I haven't eaten there in many years, but I remember it as being great, if noisy.  I don't mind the noise, really, I want them to remain popular.  I can't take another heartbreak like Siam Lotus Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment