Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pura Vida

Didn't do the frugal thing and pack a lunch today, so I went to the local  hippie and healthy restaurant, Pura Vida.  With the day I was having at work, I deserved a little lunchtime treat, and everyone knows that food made by someone else tastes better anyway.  This is especially true of sandwiches.  And, Pura Vida is within walking distance.  You know how I feel about walking distance.

I've had my eye on this place since moving to my new work location, but it's about the same walking distance as Burger King and when comparing both price and shameless indulgence factor, BK has won previously...but not today.  I have to admit, I don't like denying myself anything, and when the job gets to me I end up soothing myself with cigarettes, a Twix bar, a soda, or something like BK.  Today I was doing the healthy thing, dammit.  I'm not letting this job drive me to an early grave or a bigger dress size because of stress eating.    Pura Vida lacks the crunchy vibe and extensive menu of Juice and Java and, of course, the sandwiches are not in the same galaxy as La Sandwicherie, but, did I mention it's within walking distance?

I bought my coworker some lentil soup, trying to improve my karma through good works, and got myself the lunch special of a turkey sandwich and a juice.  The staff there was pretty close to awesome (I remember witnessing what appeared to be a lover's spat between two gorgeous Juice and Java employees and man, did that make the atmosphere cold...which helped, actually, since they don't really run the AC there).  Anyone who has ever waited tables tends to be kind of picky about food workers, and I'm no exception. 

The cool counter chick with some serious tattoos and perfectly adequate English (don't pretend it doesn't matter) was efficient and genuinely friendly.  I ordered a strawberry juice since the special included a single (fruit) juice, but she threw in a banana extra because, "it tastes better" that way.  You know?  That was really damn nice of her.  THAT'S how you guarantee a repeat customer.  The turkey sandwich was fine, but, most sandwiches are just fine with me.  Good enough to satiate hunger but not enough to gorge on; I just ate half of it.  It came with what I believe was miso dressing on the side, which was also just fine. 

This place is known for their Acai items, especially their Acai bowl, but it sounded too much like breakfast to me.  The place is not super cheap but, when you take into account the sizes of the portions and how healthy the food is, it really is a good deal...I mean, I know I'm cheap but what more do I want?  I exasperate myself sometimes.  It was 15 bucks for my lunch special and the extra soup I bought, and this lunch could feed me two meals.  I'll definitely be back, but probably not for a sandwich again.  I'll stick to smoothies and try that Acai bowl at some point.  And I say to BK, "Get thee behind me, Satan".

No comments:

Post a Comment