Sunday, May 9, 2010

One Day Wonder Cleanse and Monkey Joe's

I thought it was fate that I had most of the things I needed on hand for the One Day Wonder Cleanse thanks to Annie's.  I've been intrigued by the idea of a cleanse lately, probably because I'm impressed by people who are dedicated enough or maniacal enough to follow some insane, restrictive regiment such as the Master Cleanse.  Ten days of spicy lemonade.  Huh.  Yeah.  Anyway, I definitely think it's true that people eat too much in general, and a day of fasting or cleansing weekly is a good idea.

I am happy to report that I did follow the plan exactly.  Ended up drinking only water from 4pm on, even though I had a children's birthday party to go to with my son.  I somehow heroically resisted birthday cake and pizza.  Ah, willpower.  I did end up dreaming that night that I had cheated (and it was only one day!) with a bit of delicious pizza crust and woke up feeling all ache-y all over, which I guess is my normal reaction to any kind of detox.  I felt like that after the Russian baths, though, it may have been from the force of 500 pounds of water smashing into my shoulders.  I sometimes wish I would wake up with a professional chef in my bed, other times a hair stylist, but this morning I wished I had a massage therapist in my bed.  Guess I didn't drink enough water, that's what *they* always say, drink water.  Flush it out.  Whatever *it* is.  A mom from yesterday's party told me about 21 pounds in 21 days, a detox diet book.  Ach mein Gott that thing is hard core.  You are supposed to give yourself enemas.  Weeeellll, I'll check it out from the library and consider it, but don't expect me to report how an enema goes.

Anyway, the party yesterday was at a place called Monkey Joe's.  It was all the way by Sawgrass, which is quite a trek, but when I got there, I understood the wisdom of the choice of venue.  Hell for adults, heaven for kids.  It's basically an enormous room filled with a bunch of hugemongous bounce houses.  The noise level in there hits you like a blunt object on the back of the head - just a bunch of insanely happy, screaming little kids throwing themselves off rubber surfaces.  Make any analogy you wish.  The party included pizza, cake, goody bags, drinks, and yes, a visit from Mr. Monkey Joe himself!  The birthday boy was far too sophisticated to react to a six foot purple monkey, but I shuddered, thinking, this is the stuff nightmares or phobias are made of.  Luckily I was too hungry to think of much else.

My son said it was the best day of his life, and I believe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment