Monday, February 8, 2010

Heelsha

Went with a nice large group to Heelsha for my first foray into Indian food.  Evil G and I shared our meal of vegetable Samosas, Keema (ground beef and onion naan) and Pumpkin Vhuna, which we ordered mild, thank you very much.  Lydia and Monger were sitting closest to me so of course I had to taste their food, and I did manage to make my way around quite a bit of the table.  They ordered Spinach and Cheese Naan, vegetable Samosas, and Lamb Korma.  The lamb was very tender and whatever was in that creamy, spicy sauce was tasty...in fact, everything I tasted was very good.  Especially the naan.  So what's the problem?

Zyon said that Indian food was the new sushi for her, for me...not so much.  I have the same problem with Greek food; everything is very good and some things are wonderful, but it's all just too flavorful somehow.  I can only take three bites of any one taste before I'm ready for the next plate.  I think a buffet would work out better for me in the future with Indian food.  The only thing I could have gorged on was the most lovely Mango Lassi.  Yes, yes, yes.  It was so perfect: creamy, faintly eggy, sweet but not too sweet, rich but not too...I had to ration it to make it last longer.  Not as good?  the Masala Lassi that Valentine ordered.  No, no, no.  It was almost as bad as taking a shot of Jack Daniels...speaking of shots - Bacardi Razz is the devil's piss.  'Nuff said.

The real downfall of this place is the God awful wait.  The meal took three hours, start to finish.  Monger:  did they birth an Indian baby to grow up and cook our meal?  Lydia:  did they have to slaughter the lamb to make my food?  Well, thank God they didn't overhear us.  Our little Indian boy did turn out to be a good cook, but I'm not throwing my Thai wife out the door anytime soon.  I'm just too American to sit around and chat, waiting for a meal, I want to eat and go.  I imagined a couple on their first date at that place; it would definitely either make or break the relationship from the start.

3 comments:

  1. Devil's Piss? LOL.
    Did the Indian buffet at Royal India in Hollywood and was not to impressed. I came, I saw, I tried it. Im done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm awful at the name thing! I keep using people's real names. Anyway, at least Monger is willing to try new things. I got turned off by the menu online.

    ReplyDelete