Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Days Inn - Jonesville/Elkin, West Virginia

It's not the best Days Inn I've stayed in, but I expect that in a more competitive city like Orlando or Chicago they have to provide a better quality experience. This Days Inn is pretty much just a place to crash when you've hit your driving limit and just get off at the next exit and stop at the first hotel you see.


The room felt damp, probably due to the A/C being turned off. We ate at the pizza place right next door (don't recall the name) and I can recommend it - it was pretty good. We settled in and turned off the lights and...

for some inexplicable, magical reason, the entire ceiling was painted glow-in-the-dark night sky - stars, planets, etc. If I had been at all in an "altered state" I would have freaked out. As it was, I had to rave about it for way too long. What did it MEAN? It was so random, so out of place - that someone had chosen to paint the ceiling of this hotel room in the middle of nowhere in such an amazing way. What impulse had driven this person? What artistical, mystical, wistful impulse?

I asked the very professional young woman at the desk about it, and she replied in her clipped, lovely British accent that, yes, some of the rooms were painted that way. I got the vibe that she couldn't understand why someone had given in to such fanciful and impractical desires. I think it struck her as a bit silly, excessive, even embarrassing. Me, I found it to be purely wonderful. It was like a glimpse into someone's most secret self.

Some sort of breakfast was provided the next day but I couldn't touch it-not at all appetizing. And I'm not picky, AND I was trying to not appear high maintenance in front of the boyfriend. The milk was a day away from being buttermilk and everything else looked stale and sad.

I wouldn't chose to stay here again but it WAS inexpensive and we just needed a place to lay our heads...but again, that ceiling! Room 120!

No comments:

Post a Comment