Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mixed Nuts

Went to that tiny little gem of a space Hoy Como Ayer to hear the Spam Allstars, the perennial Miami fusion band; I first heard them about 16 years ago and have heard them several times since.  This without hardly trying, honestly, it's hard to get away from them.  I feel like they're dutifully trotted out whenever Miami is trying to put on a respectable face.  They are easy to enjoy even if a bit formulaic: you got your hip-hop, your Latin influence, and a turn table, and some dark-skinned Latin woman in a turban.  After the professional Salsa dancers humbled us with their perfection and vacated the dance floor to us lesser mortals, we all got up to dance, to the best of our abilities.  If anyone is able to resist Latin music without wiggling, they have to have no soul whatsoever.  There was even an Asian dude, dutifully dancing away with his girl.  I get the feeling the place is no longer *cool* (as if I am) but no matter, I had a good time and for once was one of the youngest people there.  *Smile*

Visited the Habitat for Humanity ReStore because I've finally caught the decorating bug and need just about everything.  Wow, that was ghetto: the location, the store, everything.  Thank God for my GPS.  I'd hate to drive around aimlessly in that hood.  It was a complete bust and all I could think was, imagine how awesome the ReStore in Seattle probably is.  Just looking through Craigslist in a decent city makes me weep.

I'm doing this Ultimate Detox & Cleanse because I enjoy making things difficult for myself, apparently.  I really have been feeling rather toxic, lately...

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend in Seattle...I differently need to have him check it out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did you go to como Ayer? You k oe
    w it is right down the block from us

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look at the craigslists in other cities... my bro lives in Raleigh and i always debate whether i could get him to pick something up for me and mailing it.. but i never do it... I'm content to just look..

    ReplyDelete